Coopersville grew slowly and by 1940 had doubled its population to 1,083 individuals. Over the last 60 years the community has continued to grow over 2 percent annually with a population of 4,275 in 2010. Even with this growth, Coopersville still maintains its rural ambiance with over 50 percent of land within the city limits still committed to agriculture.
On August 29, 1966, the Coopersville Charter Commission voted to approve a Charter that changed Coopersville from a village to a home rule city. The move to city status was approved by the electorate on December 13,1966. On January 1,1967, Coopersville became a city adding over three square miles to bring the total incorporated area to almost five square miles.
Over the years the city has been blessed with farsighted leaders who insured an excellent infrastructure to support the 15 of 36 needs of the area residents. In 1978 the city connected to the Grand Rapids water supply system greatly increasing the quantity and quality of the city’s water. Since 1903, many improvements have been made to the sanitary sewer system guaranteeing future capacity and assuring the system meets state and federal standards.